State, Federal, & Accreditation Compliance


Some Brandywine Counseling & Community Services, Inc. services are funded by and are part of the system of public services offered by the Delaware Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health (DSAMH), and therefore priority is given to residents of Delaware

Brandywine Counseling & Community Services, Inc. also receives funding from Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grants (SABG) administered by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Center for Substance Abuse Treatment’s (CSAT) Performance Partnership Branch, in collaboration with the Center for Substance Abuse Prevention’s (CSAP) Division of State Programs. (42 U.S.C. 300x-21, et seq.)

45 CFR 96.131(a) requires the State, in accordance with this section, ensures that each pregnant woman in the State who seeks, or is referred for, and would benefit from such services is given preference in admissions to treatment facilities [such as Brandywine Counseling & Community Services, Inc.] receiving funds pursuant to the grant. In carrying out this section, the State requires all entities that serve women and who receive such funds to provide preference to pregnant women. Programs which serve an injecting drug abuse population and who receive Block Grant funds shall give preference to treatment as follows:

  1. Pregnant injecting drug users;
  2. Pregnant substance abusers;
  3. Injecting drug users; and
  4. All others.

Further, 45 CFR 96.124(a) requires States to expend the Block Grant on various activities in certain proportions, including treatment and prevention, and 45 CFR 96.124(e) indicates that the State shall ensure that, at a minimum, treatment programs [such as Brandywine Counseling & Community Services, Inc.] receiving funding for such services also provide or arrange for the provision of… services to pregnant women and women with dependent children, including women who are attempting to regain custody of their children…”

To ensure compliance with State and Federal requirements, and to serve customers in an equitable manner, Brandywine Counseling & Community Services, Inc. utilizes a proprietary priority needs evaluation process to admit individuals to our walk-in Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) programs and to schedule assessments at our outpatient behavioral health treatment programs.


It is the intention of BCCS to address your concerns in a fair and equitable manner, and to achieve a satisfactory resolution regardless of the level at which the grievance is resolved. BCCS does recommend, but by no means requires, that prior to initiating the formal grievance process you attempt to resolve clinical matters and interpersonal opportunities, including treatment questions and differences with other clients or BCCS employees, at a counselor-level, Clinical Supervisor-level, and, ultimately, a Program Manager-level, as imparting principles of recovery in all aspects of the treatment experience includes empowering you to effectively address challenges and adversity in both a constructive and healthy manner.

If you determine it is necessary to initiate, either on your behalf or, if you are a parent or guardian of a minor client, on your behalf or on behalf of the minor client, the formal grievance process, as is an enumerated right under 16 Del. Admin. Code 6001- to 6001-, and submit a documented grievance to the program, you may obtain a grievance form from your counselor, or, in the stead of your counselor, the Clinical Supervisor, or, if circumstances exist where you are unable or unwilling to request the form from your counselor or Clinical Supervisor, from the Program Manager. Though prompts are provided on the form to facilitate the review and investigative process, no grievance shall be denied merely because it fails to be documented on an official grievance form.

Clients, family, and members of the community may also submit complaints or grievances to:

DSAMH: Consumer Issue Resolution Hotline – Clients who are experiencing issues with the Delaware mental health and substance use treatment system. The number, (855) 649-7944, is answered by the Director of Consumer Affairs during business hours and will record caller messages in the event the Director is not available (e.g. after hours).

The Joint Commission: Individuals may also submit a complaint or grievance to The Joint Commission via (“Filing a Complaint”). The Joint Commission also has a complaint telephone number at (800) 994-6610 where you can speak to a Joint Commission representative.